CALCI-D reduces the cost
burden for prescribers
The cost burden of prescribing calcium/vitamin D can be reduced by 18-43% by selecting CALCI-D rather than other commonly prescribed brands 1-9
Monthly cost savings available by prescribing CALCI-D* 1-9
Potential annual acquisition cost savings of £19 million for primary care in NHS England and NHS Wales if the combined calcium/colecalciferol products from the BNF had been prescribed as CALCI-D.**
CALCI-D is licensed for the correction of calcium and Vitamin D deficiency in the elderly. CALCI-D may be used as an adjunct to specific therapy for osteoporosis, in patients with either established vitamin D and calcium combined deficiencies or in those patients at high risk of needing such therapeutic supplements.
**Data accessed October 2019. NHS Prescription Services, part of the NHS Business Services Authority (BSA), is the provider of the England data, and the NHS Wales Shared Partnerships Services is the provider of the Wales data. This public sector information is licensed under the Open Government Licence v3.0 (http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/doc/open-government-licence/version/3).
1. Consilient Health Ltd. CALCI-D (calcium carbonate / colecalciferol 2500mg (1000mg) / 1000IU) Summary of Product Characteristics (SPC). September 2015.
2. Kyowa Kirin Ltd. Adcal-D3 (calcium carbonate / colecalciferol 1500mg (600mg) / 400IU) chewable tablet SPC February 2017.
3. Kyowa Kirin Ltd. Adcal-D3 (calcium carbonate / colecalciferol 1500mg (600mg) / 400IU) lemon chewable tablet SPC February 2017.
4. Takeda UK Ltd. Calcichew D3 Forte (calcium carbonate / colecalciferol 1250mg (500mg) / 400IU SPC December 2016.
5. Kyowa Kirin Ltd. Adcal-D3 Caplets (calcium carbonate / colecalciferol 750mg (300mg) / 200IU) SPC February 2017.
6. Internis Pharmaceuticals Ltd. Accrete D3 (calcium carbonate / colecalciferol 1500mg (600mg) / 400IU) SPC August 2016.
7. PCA data November 2018. Available at https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/prescription-data/dispensing-data/prescription-cost-analysis-pca-data. Accessed February 2019.
8. Dictionary of Medicines and Devices http://dmd.medicines.org.uk. Accessed February 2019.
9. BNF. Colecalciferol with calcium carbonate, medicinal forms. https://bnf.nice.org.uk/medicinal-forms/colecalciferol-with-calcium-carbonate.html [accessed April 2021]